Welcome to Wayland
Originally incorporated in 1780 as East Sudbury, the town was renamed Wayland in 1835. Early settlers were drawn to the beauty and surroundings of the Sudbury River, which remains protected today through conservational trusts. Wayland is known for its exceptional public school system, which is consistently recognized among the top in the state. The town offers a number of recreational activities, including two public golf courses as well as town beach at Lake Cochituate. Just 20 miles from Boston, Wayland offers convenient access to Rts. 9, 90, 95/128 and 495.